Corporate Counsel Plug and Play EU – Fulltime
Plug and Play EU Corporate Counsel
Plug and Play is a global innovation platform that accelerates and invests in top technology startups. Every year, hundreds of entrepreneurs pass through our vertical-specific accelerator programs to team up with our corporate partners and/or receive a direct investment from Plug and Play. We have 22 locations across the world with success stories that include PayPal, Dropbox, SoundHound, and Lending Club.
Plug and Play is seeking an attorney with 1-3 years’ experience for a Corporate Counsel position on the Plug and Play EU team. Plug and Play EU is rapidly expanding our investment and acceleration programs in one of the largest markets in the world, with 7 operating centers located in Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Stuttgart, and Munich.
The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for processing investments in technology startups and building Plug and Play’s presence in the EU. The complex and challenging work will focus on securities law, corporate law, venture capital, and technology.
It is preferred for applicants to have a background in venture capital, but not required. The Corporate Counsel will be trained to meet the various job requirements by Plug and Play’s General Counsel.
- Review and summarize key terms of sophisticated venture capital financing documents.
- Negotiate financing terms with startup founders and/or attorneys.
- Oversee, track, and analyze investment portfolio data; generate status reports.
- Develop and edit templates for domestic and international investments.
- Draft corporate governance documents and maintain good corporate health for our entities registered in the EU
- Draft large service agreements (which are similar to joint venture agreements)
- Create presentations on portfolio performance, prospective investment opportunities, and market/industry trends.
- Assist with business development (assist our business development team to engage major corporations in the EU to become members in PNP EU innovation programs)
- As knowledge and experience increases, take ownership of new and different requests and add value through new job skills and accomplishments.
The ideal candidate:
- JD or LLM from an accredited law school in the U.S. (Preferred)
- Law degree from a top university in the EU
- Previously completed the 1-year internship requirement at a law firm in the EU and can practice law in the EU independently (i.e. can work in-house as our attorney and does not need to fulfill the internship requirement first)
- Experience in securities and corporate law is highly preferred
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and one additional language prevalent in the EU—German or French preferred. Complete fluency in both languages—communication is essential
- Comfortable with Westlaw and Microsoft Office suite
- Neurotic attention to detail
- Self-starting and vigorous work ethic
- Able to understand and synthesize complex ideas
- Experience in other areas of law—employment, litigation, etc. is welcome but not required
- Residence in Valencia (Spain) or at any of our German offices.